Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Nun Shoes

I remember the shoes – heavy black grandma shoes with square toes and heels like building blocks.  Weeks before I entered the convent, my mother and I had sat in Potters, one of the few stores still selling support shoes in 1960.  I tried them on with laughter, dread and disbelief. I was seventeen.

Those shoes gave me athlete’s foot.  I never took them off, except at bedtime.  They didn’t breathe.  Summer and winter, my feet smelled and swelled and rubbed against those shoes.  I kept and shared that itchy rash with eighty other victims.  Maybe that’s why I still dread trying on shoes.  For a long time after I entered the convent, I still couldn’t believe I was wearing them.  I would look down at the floor and be caught by surprise.  “Who is the old woman dressed in my feet?”

I had been wearing the religious habit and its matching grandma shoes for five years when it happened.  One Sunday during a family visit, I held my three-year-old nephew on my lap.  When I slid him to the floor, his little frame already too heavy, he landed on my habit, which was fanned out on the floor before me.  When I tried to stand up, I couldn’t.  “Patrick, you’re standing on my dress,” I said, as I coaxed him to step off the front of my habit.  I chose the word “dress” deliberately,  knowing the word “habit” wouldn’t be in his toddler vocabulary.

He did step back, but not before staring back up at me.  “You’re not a girl,” he said.

I gasped:  “Why do you say that?”

He pointed to the floor and said,  “Girls don’t wear man shoes.”   Then he said it again:  “You’re not a girl.”

I assured him I was, indeed, a girl.  But how would he know?  I had hidden my girl under the long black cloak of self-denial, covered her up even down to my feet.  At twenty-five,  all signs of womanhood were gone.  His childish statement rang in my ears.  It still does.

Decades later, I remember the shoes.  They didn’t breathe.

2 comments:

  1. Seeing you in the old habit brought back a flood of wonderful memories. Habits may not ultimately make the nun, but what a witness they were to the faith and to consecrated service to others. Nuns marched for civil rights at Selma in the 60's. The way they LOOKED had everything to do with the impact that such photos had on people at the time. Nuns wearing slacks, with hairdos and little cross pins on their blouses, would have been invisible. I'm grateful that I had the Sisters of Mercy as teachers years ago. How they dressed and behaved left impressions in the mind and heart that shaped us too.

    ReplyDelete